Population: 34.6 million (2012)
Official languages: Swahili, English
Major religion: Christianity
IFES movement: Fellowship of Christian Unions (FOCUS)
Uganda, described as the ‘pearl of Africa’, has spectacular scenery and wildlife. It is home to many different ethnic groups and around forty different languages. About 84% of the population claim to be Christians, while a further 12% are Muslim.
- 200+ tertiary institutions
- 88 FOCUS groups
- 10 full- and part-time staff, many volunteers
- largest student group at Makerere University, Kampala; more than 70,000 students
FOCUS has always played a key role in bringing together Christian university groups across the country. They have encouraged a strong emphasis on the study of the Word of God. In the recent past the movement has faced huge financial challenges causing them to revaluate their work. They had to make the difficult decision of cutting down on number of staff and campuses they visited.
FOCUS is now redeveloping the ministry so that it can be both effective and sustainable in the years to come.
- for staffing and financial resources;
- for students to growth in faith and knowledge of the Word and in relationship with Christ;
- for children in their child project: for protection and for the campaign against child sacrifice and early child marriages.