East Asia is a dynamic region with political systems from democracy to communism, economically developed countries and vibrantly developing countries, and a wide variety of histories, cultures and languages. Every country has large numbers of young people who are the driving force in the transformation of society. Christians in East Asia are struggling both to find their identity based on a personal relationship with God, and to be salt and light as God’s people in fast-changing societies.
Student ministry in East Asia
- largest movement is Perkantas Indonesia with 20,000+ students
- smallest movement is FES Cambodia with 40 members
- there are several pioneering countries with very few members
One of the most exciting things to happen in East Asia has been the pioneering ministry in Cambodia and Mongolia. These were initiated through partnerships among IFES movements in East Asia, and have been established through collaboration of student leaders from different movements.
The greatest strength of East Asia is their student leaders: they take responsibility for communicating the gospel with non-believers and leading groups in each campus. The main challenges that students face are materialism and uncertainty about the future. Students sometimes focus on themselves rather than seeing the big picture of what God is doing and can do through them.
- for students can be transformed by the Word of God;
- for students to get a vision for God’s kingdom and to contribute to nation-building with love and compassion.