Population: 89,600 (2011)
Capital: St. John's
Official language: English
Major religion: Christianity
IFES movement: Inter-School and Colleges Christian Fellowship (ISCCF)
Antigua and Barbuda is a small twin island state. It is a predominantly Christian nation but living as a Christian has the same challenges as elsewhere.
- 1 tertiary institution with 1 ISCCF group
- no staff workers, 1 interim volunteer worker since March 2012
- a dormant graduate group restarted in 2012
- ISCCF is primarily a high school ministry; 8 groups in 8 schools
- largest student group is at Antigua State College
- smallest in one of the high schools (about 10 members)
Over the years the ISCCF has had a profound impact on the Antiguan landscape. People of influence in business, government and society in general can testify to the effect that the movement has had on their lives. Nine young people who were discipled in ISCCF between 1987 and 1993 are today serving the local and international Christian communities as pastors.
Today ISCCF has active groups in secondary institutions, for example the Antigua State College meets together once a month and also holds small conferences with guest speakers. However the ministry has a severe lack of human resources and finances. They look forward in faith and prayer to the day when God returns the movement to its former glory as they face the challenge of a new generation of students and young people.
View from the inside
Jacqueline Jackson is the Board Chair of the ISCCF. She says, ‘I have always liked working with youth and it is my heart’s desire to see young people live for Christ.’ Romans 12:1-2 are key verses that God has given her which underlies her heart for ministry: ‘Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God - this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will.’
- for God’s provision of finances and staff;
- for ISCCF students to ‘own’ their movement;
- for the recruitment of new board members.